Saturday, March 11, 2017

Quadrilateral Flip Book - Make Math Easy!


I've been obsessing over flip books lately! I've created at least 8 new flip books in the past 2 months and this quadrilateral flip book is one of my favorites. 

The hierarchy of 2D shapes (quadrilaterals specifically) always seem to confuse my students. They're pretty good with understanding characteristics of individual shapes but they have a hard time seeing how they all fit together into a hierarchy of similar attributes.


 I love how this flip book keeps the student focused on the hierarchy of shapes by laying it out sequentially on the flaps. It also helps students as they go through the book because they can understand how the new shape is connected to the shape we learned about on the previous page. 


I have found that this book also helps students keep track of all of their learning in one place. Sometimes they just need something easy to refer to. I love flip books because they're great at keeping everything in one spot for my students, making it more likely that students will review and access their prior learning.


The students love being able to write on the shapes in this book. We measure each shapes sides for practice with rulers. We also measure all of the angles in each shape as an exploration into shape attributes as well as for additional practice with protractors. 

These flip books are really engaging and the students love working in them!


1 comment:

  1. Heya superb blog! Does running a blog like this take a great deal of work?
    I've no knowledge of computer programming but I was hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyhow, should you
    have any ideas or techniques for new blog owners please share.

    I understand this is off subject nevertheless I just had to ask.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete