Wednesday, September 30, 2015

5th Grade Math - Standard, Expanded, Word and Unit Form

I finally took pictures of my anchor charts and I am so excited to share them with you!!

This year, I knew that I needed to do something different with naming numbers because my students REALLY struggled with this last year. I came up with this color-coded anchor chart to post our learning for reference.

I can't say whether or not this definitely helped BUT I can say that this was NOT a lagging skill with my students this year. They knocked this out of the park on their assessment! Seriously!


Along with this anchor chart for reference, we also did a ton of review activities! I made a few games that reinforce this concept! Here they are below...




The first game, place value BINGO, has calling cards with numbers written in standard, unit, word and expanded form. The cards also have a variety of number forms in the boxes. This is a great review activity for your students! Check it out by clicking the image above!



The second game is a super fun game with a spinner that gets students involved in building numbers and rewriting them in various forms! The students love it because it's a different format but they are still learning!

The students are loving these games in math centers and in small groups and they are learning so much and strongly improving in this skill at the same time! I have been so happy with the outcome!


0 comments:

Post a Comment